Buy a brick and help finish the project! To order a brick, you can stop by the library, or visit the brick donor website: www.bricksrus.com/order/cranburylibrary.
We are on track to have a new library in 2017
After five years of fundraising and planning, the end is in sight! The combined library and community center design is complete and is going out for bid in March. While the bidding and contracting process is underway, the Cranbury Library Foundation is raising the final $220,000 that they estimate will cover the new building construction. This final fundraising phase of the project is the Community Walk of Knowledge.
Since last fall, we have achieved some key milestones:
- Architecture design is completed. Architecture firm Arcari+Iovino, a NJ-based firm that specializes in libraries, has completed the final design of the combined library/community center.
- Planning Board approved the Site Plan at the end of Park Place West. With feedback from local neighbors, the site was plan was changed in October to better integrate the building and parking lot into the 14-acre Wright Property preserved space.
- Cranbury Township Committee agreed to build the adjacent municipal parking lot and required rainwater detention system. They have included $475,000 into the 2017 capital budget. The adjacent parking lot will also support the downtown business area.
- Detailed building construction plans are ready to go out to final bid. Based on the revised site plan, the final detailed construction plans are being completed with the intention to go out to bid in March. The bid cycle is 30 days, after which the bids will be opened at a public meeting.
- Furniture for new space donated. Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMS) is renovating a wing of their Lawrenceville facility and donated 100 chairs, as well as bookshelves, tables, conference room furniture and filing cabinets for the new library building. The value is estimated at over $50,000 and will allow the new building to open and be functional from Day 1.
Now we have to raise $220,000 to break ground! To do this, our final phase is the Community Walk of Knowledge Brick Program.
Three Donor Recongnition Levels
There are three levels of donor recognition:
- Donations totaling $10,000 or more qualify as named gifts for rooms and collections in the new library
- Donations totaling $5,000 or more will be recognized on the Leadership Donor wall in the gallery of the new library / community center building
- Donations of $1000 during this final “champion” phase will qualify for the Community Walk of Knowledge Brick Program (see below). There is also a half-size brick available for $500.
“The Community Walk of Knowledge is the outdoor plaza where the new building opens onto the 14-acre open space that the township has preserved for a town square and recreational area,” explained Michael Ferrante, president of the Cranbury Library Foundation. “This area will include a patio featuring engraved bricks recognizing donors from this final phase. Cranbury residents and businesses can buy a brick and be a “champion” to help finish the project. We want this to be a library and community center for all Cranbury residents.”
To participate in the Community Walk of Knowledge program, residents and businesses can purchase a “champion” brick (8” X 8”) for $1000 and select up to six lines of text, to recognize their family, honor a loved one, or include their favorite quote. A “citizen” brick (4” X 8”) is also available for $500 and has space for up to three lines of text. The library foundation has partnered with Bricks R Us, a company that helps with brick fundraising programs around the country. To order a brick visit the brick donor website or stop in the library.
To increase your donation to a Leadership Donor or qualify for a named gift, please contact Marilynn Mullen at 655-0555 or Michael Ferrante at 655-3465.